2/25/09

Sunday Favorties/Outdoor Wednesday/ Mackinac Island and more

Welcome to Sunday Favorites with our lovely hostess Chari! It's been so much fun getting to know Chari over these's last several months. She has a beautiful blog with so many interesting things that you will want to stay a very long time. Thank-you my friend for hostessing this meme! I have been so busy getting ready for my son to visit that I haven't been up to posting much. I haven't seen him since last October and it's been tough. I will keep you all posted on our visit. My DIL and son fly into Minneapolis tomorrow and then it's about a 2 hour drive to our home. I can't wait! I hope you all are having a lovely weekend. Cindy





This is my 2nd go at this, so please let me know if this works. I have been having trouble with my blog all day. Welcome to another Outdoor Wednesday, hosted by the lovely Susan http://asoutherndaydreamer.blogspot.com/ please check out all the other great outdoor Wednesdays.While walking the streets of Mackinac Island, Michigan last summer we came upon this little boy and his dog. I swear he looked like he was right out of central casting and he wasn't posing, he just happened to be sitting there with his dog.


The Mackinaw Bridge is 5 miles long and the longest suspension bridge in North America. It's longer than the Golden Gate. If you have a fear of bridges, as I do a bit, then this drive will be quite the rush. On one side of the bridge you will see Lake Michigan, on the other Lake Huron. The bridge connects residents from the UP to the mainland.





A small section of some of the gardens at the Grand Hotel. They are incredibly lovely!









A view of Mackinac Island as you are coming in on the ferry. There are only about 600 year round residents, however summer is very busy! If you ever get to visit, this is one magical place.






A side view of the beautiful Grand Hotel. We would have loved to stay here, however rooms start at $450.00 per night and coat and ties for the men and dresses for the women are required after 6:00 p.m. The movie, Somewhere in Time, starring Christopher Reeves and Jane Seymour was filmed here. They have an annual lilac festival every June and I sure want to get there again this summer. Thanks for visiting, Cindy
















29 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous setting! Yea, that bridge would give me the heebie-geebies a little! I would have to be in the passenger side so that I could close my eyes if needed! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, got the shuttered window picture at Home Goods several years ago. By the time my mom decided that she would love to have one, they were all gone and I haven't seen them since. Too bad, because it really opens up a small area. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Cindy,
    My favorite movie! What an amazing hotel but at $450.00 a night I would stay elsewhere too. Well..... maybe one night so I could say I stayed there :) I would visit the hotel just to walk the grounds. Great pictures. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy, Thank you so much for sharing those pictures. I have wanted to go there at least since seeing the movie and especially after buying a Victorian house. Your pictures are amazing! Maybe someday I will get there! :D Jewel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Cindy...This is just beautiful! Yes, I remember the movie...loved it! Gorgeous gardens! Have a great day...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have to be sedated to cross that bridge--lol. At 450 a night--all we could do is ask to see pictures. To bad, it would be nice to jump into a cozy bed there! I wonder in these hard times if they will reduce fees.

    That boy and dog couldnt get any cuter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for a beautiful post! I love Mackinaw Island, haven't been there in probably 30+ years, but remember it so fondly. The picture of the boy and his dog is just precious. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos! Mackinac island is one of my favorites to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your pictures. Mackinaw Island is one place I hope to visit someday.
    ~*~Leanne~*~

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those pictures! I've never been there, but it'd be great to see!

    Carolyn of What Now? Tablescapes

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Cindy,
    What a beautiful and fun place to visit!!! The scenery is spectacular!!!! I would just want to linger. I always enjoy visiting with you, have a very blessed day.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful place and the hotel is just gorgeous. My favorite is the picture of the little boy and his dog. So precious. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely place to visit Cindy! It kind of reminds me of "Longwood Gardens" in Kennett Square, PA., near Philadelphia. It's one of the largest and most beautiful gardens and waterfountains in the world. I'd love to come to Michigan again sometime just to see this! ~CC Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cindy,

    I love the pictures! Thank you for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was one of my mothers favorite movies. One day I would like to visit the island. Your pictures are beautiful. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty :)

    (but the bridge would scare me :O)

    Happy OW!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for sharing this. I have never considered vacationing in Michigan. You have changed my mind. I didn't realize it had so much to offer. We don't have time to take summer vactions. Maybe someday! I will add Mackinac island to my list of places to see. We do not stay at expensive hotels either. I think the Opryland Hotel was the most expensive motel we've ever stayed at. That's ok, we don't spend much time in our motel rooms. Hugs, Terrie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been to Mackinaw Island once or twice and it is magical. We rode bikes around the island one of the times. I'd love to go back with my blogger eyes, though. Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Outdoor Wednesday Cindy! sorry you first post got deleted! Beautiful pictures!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  20. Though I have never had the pleasure of staying at the Grand Hotel ... I have spent many weekend days strolling this lovely island....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi there. I'm on my lunch hour. Thought I'd check in and see what's happening. This is a beautiful place and I've seen that movie a few times. Yes I think I might have to close my eyes going over that bridge. Sometimes it brothers me and sometimes not.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing these pictures. My DH and I wanted to travel there for our wedding anniversary one year but we discovered they didn't open for the season until a week or two later. Looks like we got married too early in the year. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hmmm. That's different. I've never seen the comments above the post. :-) Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for stopping by and checking out my blog. I enjoyed your photos! Happy OW!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Cindi, i was born in MI and I remember Mackinaw Island before the bridge. We took a ferry across to get there. My grandfather had a hunting cabin in the upper which wasn't far from there. I ws there the summer before last and we drove over the bridge. Amazing, is all I can say.

    Beautiful photos and post.

    Hugs...Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am jumping up and down; I have been here and its awesome. Steve and I sat on the porch and rocked in the white rocking chairs. I just had a great time there. Did you go to the falls while you where in Michigan? Mackinaw is such a great place to visit. We took one day and did the bike ride and had a picnic on the way. Blossom

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'd LOVE to go there!! Perhaps someday...as we have other FAV spots to go on vacation...and only a limited number of vacation days! LOL!!

    Somewhere In Time has been my favorite movie since it came out in 1980...and now it's Tom's, too!

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oops...I guess I hit POST before I finished. I was going on to say...I love your new-to-you blue rocking chair above!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Cindy, these are beautiful pictures of a beautiful place. Made me want to go back and visit there again. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just saw this movie a few weeks ago! I would love to some day come and visit this place. It is so beautiful! Was it a long drive from your home? I enjoyed all your pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome,
I would love to hear from you. Come back and visit anytime. Warmest Wishes, Cindy