2/8/09

MET MONDAY/ THE HOUSE

Hi Everyone and Welcome to my 4th Met Monday. Met Monday is hosted by Susan at http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/ . After taking the tour, head over there and check out more before and after transformations! We moved into our present home/cottage in August 2007. With 2 kids starting their senior year in high school and the fact that my eldest son was married and a teacher in Tempe, AZ we knew we wanted something out of town and a bit smaller for two soon to be empty- nester's. We concentrated on the inside of the house first and below is a pic of our home the first winter we lived here. We liked the stone and we have 2 acres almost all yard surrounded by woods, but there wasn't much curb appeal. (click on any pic to enlarge)

Here we are, last spring 2008. The snow had just finally left us, things were turning green and we had 2 kids graduating in June. There is something about having a big party at your home (especially graduation) that can really get you motivated! First on my agenda was picking colors and shutters. I have always wanted board- n- batten shutters, but when I checked the prices I was taken back. My handy hubby said he could whip some of those up and so he did. Here is the first one ready to go, and painted an apple red. We chose that color because I like red and we have numerous apple trees on our property.


We chose spiced sugar for the color of the railings and trim. My hubby worked like a dog scraping, priming and painting. I kept busy planting flowers, planning a graduation party for about 100 people, cooking, sorting through endless pics, decorating our garage, you get the picture.


We needed a sign for our newly named property and hubby had just learned some new techniques on his computer aided cad/ drafting. I'm quite proud of the sign he designed and made for our home.



Then there was more painting,- a red front door.






Things are starting to come together, but graduation is getting closer.




More shutters to make, paint and put up.





Another door that needs some red and more shutters.









A view when the phlox are in bloom!










Some left over red paint, so why not paint the old bench and chair!










And the little planter. Here is a view after the garage doors are done, to see that transformation scroll on down to my first Met Monday Post.






Another view, you can see my talented hubby through the front window.















AWWW, the finished view. We are exhausted, but happy with how things turned out. Thanks for coming by. Cindy


















21 comments:

  1. Hi Cindy,
    I love all the red you added with the shutters and doors! It really looks great...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cindy!! I love the transformation...so much more cottagey! Your DH is a talented guy! I didn't know he had made your sign, too! Great post...Debbie
    PS...Have a great week and stay warm. We've had a few very nice days here in the 60's! Can Spring be far behind?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful home...I still am amazed by those garage doors your talented husband did!

    susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, what a difference! You made just exactly the changes that brought your house from "pretty" to "POW!" It looks adorable! Love the touches of red (especially the shutters) and the garage doors are gorgeous. And as always I envy someone who can grow such lush perennials.

    And thank you, Cindy, for suggesting I post my bedroom painting saga on Met Monday. It took me awhile to figure out how to do it (I am no computer genius) but what fun! Best wishes, Cass

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just truly gorgeous. I love the red on the shutters and doors and the sign is just so lovely and perfect. Your landscaping is beautiful. What a fantastic job you have done. Thanks for stopping by my mini-kitchen remodel and your gracious remarks. I do so appreciate it. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your house to home transformation is wonderful...so warm and inviting.....great choices and I love the red! We should have a hats off to hubby blog....these men are wonderful! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a wonderful transformation. I love the red doors. That scores an A+ from me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you guys did a great job. i love the colors and ideas about the garage door. isnt it amazing how nice things can look for cheaper cost when you really get creative?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cynthia, What a labor of love you and your hubby have put into this home. You have made it adorable. Love the pic with the purple posies in front of the large window! Adorable Meta Monday share~ ;) ~CC Catherine (Stop over today to see who won my Challenge/Giveaway...it's posted on the top right side bar along with the pic of what the eyes belonged to! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning Cindy, your home is truly charming. All the love you and hubby and poured into it shows.. what a great team you make..His talent is incredible.. thanks for the visit this morning to see the hutch full of blue..you always put a smile on my face with your comments..I'm off to take hubby to the doctor.. have a super day my friend.. hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is definitely one of the most lovely transformations I've seen .... you have taken us through the entire process and it was a wonderfully fun tour. You are so right - hubby is one talented man.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marvelous! I like what you named your home too. You sure have a talented husband and you have greent thumbs too....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have a beautiful home, and you and your husband have done a wonderful job making it your own. Love the colors you chose, the transformation is amazing. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved seeing the transformation from average nice house to "Applestone Cottage." Tell your talented hubby his did a great job!!! And you are to be commended too - a party for 100 is no small task, especially right after moving!!!! :D Jewel

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cindy, that does not even look like the same house. What a vision you had! It turned out great. I've always loved that sign. How wonderful that your husband made it. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cindy
    First of all I have a pic of "Kat" like your Cocoa with her little tongue out like that. Cute.
    I said it before and I'll say it again. I love your home.
    Very cozy and I also have splashes of red outside.
    Love Claudie

    ReplyDelete
  17. The red looks great on your house. I always preferred that style of shutter, too. Then when you added the other red it really popped. Jacob is taking that CAD/drafting course in school this year and I showed him your husbands sign - to show him more examples of what can be done. you know you're a Minnesotan when you have a graduation party in a garage! I bet it all went well. you'll have to fill us in on the details. ~ Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Cindy
    I would be honored to have you follow me. I've never had that request. I'm an Apple user with Mobile Me very diff. from blogger.com. I post and tweak constantly and I'm not sure you won't want to be bothers every time I post. I also have to post with diff dates. My pages go to the bottom of the pile so I'm ready for them when the days come up like Pink Sat. , Met Monday ... Blogger.com provides the option of scheduling their posts. I do not. So there you have it. I do have an RSS feed at the top right of my main page. I never really thought about people subscribing lol Had to answer your question here. I did not see an e-mail option. Thanks for visiting I appreciate it.
    Love Claudie
    P.S. I had the same IKEA lamp as yours! Remember I do not use my google acc.
    claudie.frid.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely precious...what a difference it has so much curb appeal now great job!! French;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Cindy you've been tagged. See my site for instructions. Blessings, Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cindy, your home turned out so beautifully! And I love the sign your husband made!... Donna

    ReplyDelete

Welcome,
I would love to hear from you. Come back and visit anytime. Warmest Wishes, Cindy