4/29/12

High School kids building a house part two!



This is the 12th year that my husband Dan's building construction II class has built a home.
This year's home is pretty unique as it looks out over the river. It has been a difficult house to build as it is on a very sloped site and the fear of heights is an obstacle for many students. 





Students spend a little over an hour a day working on the home. Our school utilizes the block schedule, which has 85 minute blocks, but taking attendance and travel through town, to the site and back chews up about 20 minutes of our time each day.


We are still waiting for siding to arrive, which is on order. It is a rustic looking vertical tongue and groove product called "rough rider". It has the look of reclaimed lumber, but it is a new product that is very appropriate for this house. The windows will be framed in cedar and the fascia and corners will also be cedar.
Views like this are abundant from this lot and a dock will be easily built to allow boat access or perhaps a nice spot to lounge on a reclining lawn chair and enjoy the beautiful scenery.

The view out of one of the large basement windows.

It is still being decided what materials will be used to cover the foam insulation that is covering the concrete. Several products are being considered including a "trowel on stucco like product" and a corrugated galvanized metal covering. Only a number of students are willing to climb this tall ladder and scaffolding, but a part of the class is learning to overcome the fear of heights. 
Many fish species lurk below the surface of this river, such as bass, walleye, and interestingly prehistoric Sturgeon. Many huge Sturgeon have been caught near here. My son actually caught a 50" Sturgeon from this river about 3 years ago.

We just received this pile of cedar and pine tongue and groove product called "end match". The cedar will be used in the living room and kitchen area and the pine in the bedrooms, bathrooms and hall areas. It is a beautiful product with a "smooth as silk" finish.

The students are enjoying the installation of the cedar wall paneling. It gives them a great sense of accomplishment as each board finds it's way into the wall pattern. 

One of the bedrooms is starting to take shape as the pine boards are being installed. Knotty Pine begins to bring the feel of "a cabin on the river" to this room.

These Hickory kitchen cabinets are being considered for the kitchen and possibly a matching bathroom vanity. The kitchen is rather small, but a large pantry is adjacent to the kitchen and will provide excellent storage space for the kitchen area. 
This is one of 3 skylights that a student is preparing for the cedar paneling. The skylights provide the cabin with ample light in the living room and kitchen. 
Students measure and install the wine colored soffits. This product is different than most soffit as the venting is in the grooves and makes the panels look much cleaner than traditional aluminum soffit which has the venting holes in the panels instead of the grooves. 

This student is one of the nicest kids that you would want to meet. He is back in school this year after a year long battle with leukemia.   He spent much of last year in a hospital and underwent chemo therapy and all of the struggles with battling such a hideous disease.  He is now cancer free and is back to his old self. He is an inspiration to all of us. 
Much of this post was written by the teacher, my hubby Dan.
If you would like to see the beginning of this home click here.

More updates to follow...stay tuned!

Cindy 
I am joining the following blog parties.
The DIY Showoff parade @ The DIY Showoff
Met. Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
Wow us Wednesdays @ Savvy Southern Style
French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Show n Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
Saturday Night Special @ Funky Junk Interiors

26 comments:

  1. Cindy, this house is amazing. Dan is so talented to train these children to build a house. A life long lesson for sure and wow, what an accomplishment. This house is gorgeous and the view is unreal. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan, this house is looking "awesomer and awesomer!"

    Cindy, one day I want to come over there and go see this house live and in person. What a view those folks are gonna have when they sit on that deck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome house! And what great skills for these guys to learn so early! They should be very proud of themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, wow, wow, Cindy! This is just amazing to think these kids with the help of your hubby build an entire house! It looks like it's going to be so pretty and what a view! :) Goodness! I'm so impressed.
    Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous, Cindy (and Dan)! Those kids are doing an amazing job! And what a wonderful setting for a house! Happy week!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful place to build a house!! What a wonderful experience those highschool kids are getting to be apart of!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cindy, that river looks so much like our with the same fish in the river too ; )
    Dan, you must have such patiences. I commend you truly I do. What an achievement on everyones part. Love seeing that young man free of "C".
    I would buy this house in a heart beat.
    I love it.
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved reading his update - Thanks Dan and Cindy. This is wonderful, hands on experience for the students. I have to admit - I would have issues with height also. Looking forward to seeing the finished project.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Teens doing terrific work with an inspiring teacher!! These students are living a dream many people would love to be a part of each day. Thanks for sharing.♥♫

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just amazing and warms my heart!

    Thank you for your kind comments. You are such a blessing to me.

    I will be having a Mother's Day giveaway this next Friday with glimpses of whats up for grabs all this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. God bless Dan and his remarkable students, especially the fine fella recoverin' from leukemia!!!

    The house looks fabulous...when can I move in? Heeeheehehhe!!!

    Have a blissfully blessed week sweet friend!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Cindy & Dan, I knew I was going to love this house! I want to buy it! What a perfect design for the lake location, and how beautiful it is going to look with all of the rustic elements they are adding. I'm always so impressed by the skills that are taught and utilized when you post about this each year. Such a wonderful opportunity for these students. And how wonderful that the young man who has been through so much is able to be back "on the job". I can't wait to see the finished house. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Cindy, what an incredible house this is going to be. The view is going to be amazing. What an opportunity these kids are getting. I'm so glad to read the young man is cancer free, what an inspiration..
    hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful things for these young men to take on their lives journey..I so admire you Dan..Hope all is well in your world my dear friend..Hugs and smiles Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  15. My late husband's uncle taught this class in Chipley Florida many years ago and I thought it was wonderful then and I still do! What a wonderful home and location. All my sons work in wood. One is in Colorado, the other two here. Both my brothers and nephew also are cabinet makers..even my eldest brother's wife has gotten into it by making ink pens out of all sorts of exotic woods. My brother has added her a little shop of her own in their lovely basement which is all custom built into two work shops for both of them..
    My husband doesn't work in wood and it's impossible to get my sons to do anything! LOL
    My second son did build me a coffee table and my sweet brother just sent me a lovely little box for my storing...oh..anything..in. It's on my desk stuffed full.
    I am off to see previous photo's of the house.
    Wood! A wonderful subject!
    One of my favorite things at your home is your garage doors. They are ..something I can only dream of!
    Hugs,
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I love the site where the house it and I am in full admiration of Dan. Not many poeple are capable of building house, much more teach young students. Mu hubby cannot even hang a picture on a wall. Thanks for sharing this very inspiring project....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful class...teaching these boys real skills that can carry them through life even if they don't choose construction as a career! That home looks awesome...and what beautiful views!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an incredible post about an incredible project and some incredible kids! Your husband, the school system needs more like him! He is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cindy, It is so heartwarming and great that your husband and his students accomplish this!

    I have featured an Interview with Tina from The Enchanted Home...

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! What a beautiful location and gorgeous home. And what a super sweet learning opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This house is absolutely awesome and the building site is dreamy. What a wonderful, wonderful project. So glad the young guy is now cancer free and working on such a worthwhile endeavor. Thanks for sharing. Oh, and I like your new blog look...it's been awhile since I've looked!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi cindy! I hope your weather gets better, we just havent had the greatest have we???? I loved Wyalusing State park,,its not very motor home friendly though..all those twists and turns and high bluffs. I love this house..love it. what a great project!

    ReplyDelete
  23. HI Cindy, this is so wonderful. I love these kind of projects. And boy I bet your hubby could tell some stories with
    all those students over the years. My husband was a school principal for years and we would laugh at some
    of the funny things kids would say. Great post and great project. I hope we get to see the finished product!
    Blessings,
    debbie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Cindy ~ long time, no talk to! Glad to see your comment on my blog. It's good to visit with you again. This house is awesome and what a beautiful view, too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Cindy - thanks for leaving a comment on my blog; it's great to visit with you again. This house is awesome! Great view, too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good morning my dear friend..Thanks for coming by..Yes little Landen and Addy would made a great pair ha ha!! I know I sure have enjoyed having that boy in my life and look so forward to seeing him each week..I love to listen to him talk..His favorite color is Yellow and he loves elephants..of course that is this week..
    sure wished we were closer by so they could meet up and play..I got Landen a water table last week and he loves it..
    May you have the BEST Mother's day ever my dear friend..Love ya girl..Hugs and love Gl♥ria

    ReplyDelete

Welcome,
I would love to hear from you. Come back and visit anytime. Warmest Wishes, Cindy